How to refresh your home without going overboard on shopping.

Thursday, March 08, 2018



Spring is fast approaching, but, you don't need to wait for it to start spring cleaning and refreshing your home...


You know what? Sometimes a girl does not need a new wardrobe or a new haircut (I know!), sometimes a girl needs a new house! Jokes! But hear me out...


Not all of us can purchase a new property in the blink of an eye (sigh...) Second best is to simply refresh your home. And, it does not have to include getting a bunch of new stuff. You can easily move things around, repaint old furniture add covers to a sofa, re-upholster an old chair etc. so here are some suggestions that I found to be effective:



➸ Define your style

Get to know your personal style by thinking and writing down what you're into. Are you practical or fussy? Do you like things kept to a minimum or lots of detail is more your thing? Do you lean more towards a modern aesthetic or you're into nostalgia or perhaps you like a bit of both! Are you into a particular era? Make sure you write down everything.
Also, take into consideration the people who share the home with you... Your partner should have a say, a home is created also with a bit of compromise, unless he/she doesn't care, then go nuts! Create a board on Pinterest to give you ideas and inspiration.
You don't have to have the perfect decor just yet, but knowing your style will make it easier to know what to work towards. Over the years we tend to acquire things here and there that don't make any sense anymore and we can't even understand what on earth we were thinking when we bought them (guilty)... Don't just buy stuff you find cute or nice... Think if it goes with the look and atmosphere you're trying to create.

➸ Create a put together look

There is a way to make your place look somewhat concise. When you get into a room there are objects that immediately jump to your sight, whether is the pillows or the curtains or maybe a wallpaper... well, there shouldn't be a lot of these features if you want to create a harmonious look. I mean if the curtains have a bold print, then opt for simple cushions that are plain but are one of the predominant colours of the curtains, for example. If let's say your sofa is quite plain, then your cushions can have prints to add a bit of colour and dimension, they can even match the curtains but be careful to not overdo it! When using print it's a good idea to mix geometric prints with florals and softer patterns to make things a bit more interesting while harmonising visually. If you don't like print that much, you can play with texture instead, there are really no rules, it all depends on your style.
The colour pallet can be limited but it's where the items are placed that makes the difference.
It's all about balance.

➸ Be flexible

There is something to be said for unpredictability... You don't want your home to be predictable and boring, so, go a bit out of character and ad an unexpected feature, or a conversation starter.
I know this is really random but, I live in a small Victorian cottage, so space is a problem, I don't have a dining room so all the action happens in the kitchen. We have a world map on the wall, and no matter who comes over for dinner always starts a conversation relating to travel, where we've been, where we would like to go or world history... It's a lovely inexpensive addition to gatherings. My children even made up a game because of the map. There was a time I wanted my kitchen to look a bit less cluttered so I took the map off the wall and our meals weren't the same... I just had to put it back on!
If you like modern decor, maybe get a really unusual antique with a story behind it. Or if you're into classic traditional spaces maybe get something really wacky and unexpected that's going to make your guests LOL to tears!
Rome wasn't built in a day, so, easy tiger! No need to be strict, be fluid. Try new things, only then you can see what works for you and your family.

➸ Work with what you have

Yeah, you know... move things around, and not in your mind. really do it!
I had my children's bedroom in the same arrangement for years because I thought that was the only way that worked in order for us to have space to move around a bit. It is quite small, it's supposed to be a double bedroom, I've got my doubts... Anyhow, recently we've changed the bedroom wallpaper and so had to move things around to get to the wall. It was like magic! The room looks a lot more spacious and bright! I can't believe I hadn't done it before!
So, physically move the furniture if you can, it's a great workout too!
Also, refresh your furniture by painting it, making decoupage or just waxing it or varnishing it to
make it all lovely and shiny!

Before
Got this vintage table from Ebay for a bargain. Actual photo from Ebay post, sorry about the quality.

After
Chalk painted it white with gold details and varnished it et voilá!









I used gold paint to show all the beautiful detail.
These are the original knobs, just painted them and did some découpage with a bit of tissue napkin.
Découpaged drawers, why not? I believe in making the most mundane things extra special!
The inside of the drawers.
This was my first time doing découpage with tissue napkins and it was a challenge.

➸ Check lighting and scent

Lighting is so important to create a pleasant ambience. There are times in the day where you need clear white light, especially if you live in a dark, grey country like I do (I 💓U merry old England)! However, in the evening it can be a little too much after a long day so make sure there are yellow dim lights throughout your home to create a cosy atmosphere and be all Hygge and stuff. Either get light dimmer switches or have the ceiling lights bright and the lamps on tables quite weak in intensity.
The scent is a very personal thing so just think about the flowers, fruits and spices you like the smell of and choose a brand you're happy with. Candles are my favourite way of getting my house to smell divine, but scented wax and diffusers are a lovely choice as well.
Personally, I love the ones that smell like clean laundry hanging outside in a wildflower meadow, so, cotton, linen and Freesia fragrances are dreamy to me as well as lemon. In the winter I like Eucalyptus (reminds me of the smell of forests in my native Portugal) and orange (again Portugal). For the bedroom, I love Rose and Honeysuckle.

➸ Create a relaxing corner/room

Now, the home is where you sleep, eat, wash, play, cook, and sometimes even work, so there has to be a room (if you're lucky) or a corner of your home that is strictly for chillaxing. And I don't mean where you go to scroll down Google+ (I smugly don't have facebook) relaxing, unwinding is when you don't do or listen to anything, oh the thought of it! Ok, I need to write a post about this, so until then maybe it's a place you can just listen to soft music or read a book. Make it as comfy as you can, soft light, fairy lights, scented candle, cushions, blankets etc. Create a place with no distractions, a place you can just sit and daydream.

Pink roses add instant shabbychicness.


➸ When in doubt, add flowers

Yes. Flowers and/or plants/succulents make the dullest of places look like you care. I have to say, Roses and Gypsophilas are my absolute favourite flowers to have in the house. I love Gypsophilas so much I keep them after they're dead and dry, and depending on the roses I air dry them as well and put them in clear bowls as a decoration. I think they look great and are a cute prop for my photos. Flowers instantly become the main attraction so if you're trying to distract someone's eyes from that centimetre deep pile of dust, get some flowers... Or dust your house and breathe fresh air or both...

➸ Declutter

Oh come on, I know you know this but, stop keeping stuff for the sake of it! Go through the cabinets and drawers, get rid of stuff, put the things you can't part with away in storage, feel light and free! Let go! Liberate yourself!

➸ Organise papers/bills

Get yourself some files will you? Oh please, get that boring stuff out of the way! Get some pretty file organisers and live happily ever after! The End.



                                                   Thanks so much for stopping by.

                                                                  Much love,

                                                                        Rita





You Might Also Like

0 comments

recent posts