The power of doing before being ready.

Friday, January 24, 2020


Gardens at Cliveden House in Berkshire

Like many people, my tendency is to be a perfectionist. So, naturally, the stars have to align perfectly for me to post on the blog. The post must be original, not only that but I must feel like I can't review and edit it anymore, that I have to have a specific amount of photographs to accompany it and they must be masterpieces. I mustn't repeat words too much, the punctuation must be correct, and after reading it you must feel utterly inspired to take over the world in a non-aggressive way, of course, but rather gracefully!
Well, given the fact that nothing is original, really, English is not my first language and I'm not a professional photographer, nor am I married to one... it's going to be slightly challenging (*impossible) for me to meet my own criteria. Besides, perfection is subjective anyhow.


  • Start

Am I the only one who's like this? Surely not. This is why I'm writing this, for that person who thinks she can do everything herself, perfectly. who has so many wonderful ideas in her head but never acts on it, because circumstances are not favourable in order for her to do what she needs to.
I am urging you today to decide to do what you've been yearning to do but keep holding off. Even if it's only the littlest step. You never know where it will lead you. Don't prepare, do it, begin, with something, anything. Physically push yourself. It's your calling. It's your life on the line. The world is full of ideas, they are quite cheap actually. True power lies in action. Learning also happens with action. So, action it is then!


  • Preparation


There is something to be said about preparation. Of course, studying and researching is an integral part of any project. The problem is that subconsciously at times we get this false sense of achievement just by looking it up or watching a video about it. We get stuck in a rut of endless research and yet the actual work remains undone. There's only so many violin manuals we can read, however, physically playing it, is what will ultimately make us learn. So we do want to do the pre-work but perhaps we should set a time limit. Limits are great. They get a lot more out of us. When we can simply take our time doing something, usually it takes twice as long to get it done. When we set a time limit we get to the point quicker. We waste less time.

Another reason why we might sometimes hold off starting a project is the elusive inspiration. Ah, wouldn't it be great to feel inspired to go for a run on a rainy Monday morning or start that business you want and will change your life forever? It would be lovely, but the reality is, sometimes, we don't feel like doing what needs to be done.

It was Steven Pressfield who said, "the professional does not wait for inspiration, he acts in anticipation of it". I recommend you look for his work, it is truly outstanding, particularly ''The War of Art'' and ''Turning Pro.''

The deal here is challenging perfection. It is to strive for progress rather than perfection. And no, I'm not suggesting you slack or put out mediocre work. But to do your very best with the tools you have available right now and improve as you go. To enjoy the process, thus avoiding unnecessary anxiety about the outcome. It all comes from the notion of living and enjoying life as you work on your goals, rather than holding enjoyment off for when you finally ''make it''. Make the labour, one of love.
One good example of when I applied this was when I went into labour for the birth of my children. Instinctively I didn't rush, I wasn't anxious about the end goal (to hold my baby in my arms) I was completely immersed on the job ahead. To breathe and to cope, one contraction at the time, one push at the time. Then there is a point that even if I thought I couldn't take it anymore, I was already so invested, I was at a point of no return. So, my only option was to keep going. and so I did.
I believe that this can be applied to many other situations.

Thank you for stopping by!

Much love

Rita




You Might Also Like

0 comments

recent posts